Re: ALSA mixer volume control

On Mon, 04 May 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The other thing I've done is export attenuation information. This lets
> applications figure out the attenuation or amplification of the entire
> audio pathway, which makes it easier for userspace to set up the default
> volume levels. This was measured on a T60 using
> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=dbmeasure.git;a=summary . It'd be interesting
> to know if different machines have different characteristics - the fact
> that 8 and 9 are identical seems interesting. The other thing to note is
> that the volume keys don't seem to allow me to get to volume level 15.
> Does this work anywhere?

There are 15 levels, so 0-14.  After a _LOT_ of trouble, I managed to run
dbmeasure on it twice.  I think I got different results than your results
for the T60.

But it gets more interesting.  Here's what is inside a T40, and it is very
likely that it is what one will find on the IBM thinkpads, and probably on
the T60/Z60/Z61/X60:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/panasonic/SDC00047AEB.pdf

I am studying it, but at first glance, providing TLV data for this will not
make much sense.

BTW: you can find just about anything in the thinkpads.com forums ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh