Re: Verifying Mute and Volume keys on T61/X61 (please help)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:57:12PM +0000, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Just one question: could you test (in single user mode, no X or HAL
> > running), if the MUTE button tries to mute things by itself with both
> > settings of acpi_osi ?
> >
> > I know it does try to mute things in the X61 with acpi_osi="!Linux" and that
> > it does not when acpi_osi="Linux", but I'd like to verify if the T61 acts
> > like that as well.
>
> Using acpi_osi=Linux, nothing happens
> Using nothing, mute button does mute input (without anything reported in
> alsamixer). I can "unmute" it by pressing once volume up (but it doesn't
> volume up after that).

Please check the "mute" state caused by the firmware and the "unmute" state
that you get by pressing volume up, doing this:

1. get the system in a position where you know that pressing mute will mute
things through the firmware, and that nothing else will try to
mute/unmute/respond to volume up/down.

2. use amixer to create a card state dump:
   amixer contents > dump-before-mute.txt

3. Press mute

4. amixer contents > dump-when-mute.txt

5. Press volume up

6. amixer contents > dump-after-unmute.txt

and send the gzipped txt files to me, please.   Running diff on them should
tell us if the firmware is tweaking some control in the HDA mixer, or not.

  Henrique Holschuh