Re: ThinkPad X61 backlight brightness glitches

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 07:24:40PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> No bugs, then.  It is a Lenovo BIOS issue.  Which doesn't mean we can't do
> anything about it (besides asking Lenovo for a fix), but I am not sure of
> what.
>
> It is probably best if thinkpad-acpi switches the ThinkPad to ACPI
> brightness mode, and report this on syslog... but I have to think about it
> first, and ask around for a bit.

Wouldn't it just be better to disable both the ACPI brightness
altogether (for both the thinkpad-acpi and video modules), and use
xbacklight instead?  To quote from http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/graphics.php:

    All laptops have magic keys, designed to reduce or increase the
    brightness of the LCD panel. Unfortunately, these often use
    model-specific drivers that are only available for other operating
    systems, and while Linux supports quite a few laptop models, it
    doesn't support all of them.

    As of version 7.3 of X.org, a program called xbacklight is
    included. It allows users to use software to directly control the
    backlight of machines with integrated Intel graphics, and
    others. In addition, for quite a few laptops, the kernel exposes a
    sysfs interface to control brightness.

    Interestingly, in our measurements we have found that, at least on
    newer laptops, the kernel sysfs method (which tends to use the
    BIOS on the machine) seems to not control the actual backlight,
    but rather change the colors of the pixels on the screen to appear
    darker. Using darker pixels obviously doesn't save as much power
    as reducing the intensity of the backlight.

So if you have an Intel graphics card for your thinkpad, it's not
clear that any solution involving the BIOS is the right one....

      	       			      	      - Ted