Re: ThinkPad X61 backlight brightness glitches

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> No bugs, then.  It is a Lenovo BIOS issue.  Which doesn't mean we
> can't do anything about it (besides asking Lenovo for a fix), but I
> am not sure of what.

There must surely be *something* we can do about it, given that the
brightness controls work perfectly under Vista.  That proves it's at
least possible to make this work on the current hardware, with the
current BIOS.

As the laptop's owner, I'm happy to file support requests with Lenovo.
But I'd need your help writing the text of that request.  Tell me what
you want me to report and I'll do it.

That same offer still stands regarding the fact that when using the
video module, /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1 treats levels 0-19 as
no-ops.  I am happy to open technical support request with
Lenovo complaining about this as a BIOS bug, but I need you to write (or
help me write) that text.  You said that this is a Lenovo BIOS bug, I
really don't know the first thing about ACPI internals, so I wouldn't
even know how to describe the problem.

> BTW, if I was sure it was a better idea to use the ACPI video
> interface before, I am more even so now.

Does that mean I de-blacklist the video module and go back to trying to
get that debugged to the point of usability?  Or are you saying that the
thinkpad_acpi module itself will be modified (presumably by you) to use
the ACPI video interface?  Is there anything else I can try for now to
get working brightness controls, or should I just wait for further news
or code releases from you?