Re: ThinkPad X61 backlight brightness glitches

> Do you have the ACPI video.c driver loaded, perchance?

No.  That module is blacklisted.  I confirm that "lsmod | fgrep video"
shows no such module loaded.

> Also, make sure acpid is not loaded (thinkpad-acpi doesn't need it, and
> something in userspace might be hooked to it).

I see the kernel's "[kacpid]" and "[kacpi_notify]" threads, but no acpid
process running in userspace.

> Hmm, this *could* be a BIOS bug, but that would be a seriously weird one,
> unless X.org was loaded beforehand (it can mess with something in the GPU
> registers which tells the BIOS to hands off changing the display brightness
> directly).

I completely powered the laptop off and then rebooted into single-user
mode.  So X.org was not loaded beforehand.

Given that the brightness keys work at the GRUB prompt but stop working
when the Linux kernel is running, doesn't that suggest that the Linux
kernel is doing *something* to put the laptop into this state?  I know
very little about what goes on at this level, though, so I'm just guessing.

What should I try or poke at next?