Re: Brightness not quite tracked on X60s, thinkpad-acpi-0.15-20070815_v2.6.22.2.patch

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 02:08:14AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Josh Mandel wrote:
> > > is still fooled when I close the laptop's lid or run "xset dpms force
> > > off".  In these cases, the screen brightness (once restored from the
> > > off state) shoots up to 100%, but the thinkpad_acpi continues to
> > > report the previous value.  I should mention that I'm running BIOS
> > > 2.12 and the "video" module is loaded on my system.  (Is loading this
> > > module a mistake?)
> >
> > THAT might also be Lenovo doing a botched up job in the DSDT. If this is
> > true, it simply means you can say bye-bye to brightness support on
> > thinkpad-acpi for the x61/t61 and later, there is only so much breakage I
> > will tolerate before I decide they do NOT care about it and will keep
> > breaking things further and further, and just drop the support.
>
> I think this is actually an issue with the -intel X driver, which pokes
> the chipset backlight registers directly and overrides the platform
> legacy backlight controller.
>
> Still, I suspect that the best approach to handling the backlight stuff
> on new Thinkpads is just to leave it up to the video extension. Just
> check if _BCL, _BCM and _BQC are implemented and then refuse to create
> the backlight?

I will check for that.  AND (_BCL, _BCM, _BCQ, _BQC) or OR (_BCL, _BCM, _BCQ,
_BQC) ?  (BQC is there because Micosoft are a bunch of irresponsible **** and got it
wrong in some reference document).

  Henrique Holschuh