Re: Brightness not quite tracked on X60s, thinkpad-acpi-0.15-20070815_v2.6.22.2.patch

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 02:08:14AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Josh Mandel wrote:
> > is still fooled when I close the laptop's lid or run "xset dpms force
> > off".  In these cases, the screen brightness (once restored from the
> > off state) shoots up to 100%, but the thinkpad_acpi continues to
> > report the previous value.  I should mention that I'm running BIOS
> > 2.12 and the "video" module is loaded on my system.  (Is loading this
> > module a mistake?)
>
> THAT might also be Lenovo doing a botched up job in the DSDT. If this is
> true, it simply means you can say bye-bye to brightness support on
> thinkpad-acpi for the x61/t61 and later, there is only so much breakage I
> will tolerate before I decide they do NOT care about it and will keep
> breaking things further and further, and just drop the support.

I think this is actually an issue with the -intel X driver, which pokes
the chipset backlight registers directly and overrides the platform
legacy backlight controller.

Still, I suspect that the best approach to handling the backlight stuff
on new Thinkpads is just to leave it up to the video extension. Just
check if _BCL, _BCM and _BQC are implemented and then refuse to create
the backlight?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx