Re: [ltp] ibm-acpi ThinkPad X60 brightness support problems

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007, Michael Reinsch wrote:
> Hello and a happy new year!
>
> On 31.12.2006, 17:21 -0200 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> > 	1. Fn+Home/fn+End *do* work, but tpb, KDE and other similar
> > 	"ThinkPad CMOS snooping" things don't report Fn+Home (brightness up)
> > 	anymore.
>
> Not sure about that one... well, see below.

Can you get the ThinkPad to increase brightness using the keyboard in Linux?

This used to be done automatically by the BIOS, so you can test this with
ibm-acpi unloaded.

If you can, please send me the output of "cat /dev/nvram" just before, and
right after an increase and decrease in brightness done using the fn keys,
and also just before, and right after an increase and decrease in brightness
using the cmos ibm-acpi commands.

> > 	2. Lenovo changed the mappings and Fn+Home generates a hotkey event
> > 	that is the same as the fn+F7 one (switch monitor output), which
> > 	would explain all sort of weird behaviour if fn+F7 ain't safe in
> > 	your particular configuration.
>
> This doesn't seem to be the case. This is what happens on my X60s:
>
> - Fn+F7 produces "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001007", which triggers a
> script to write into /proc/acpi/ibm/video (but which doesn't work with
> the X60 any more :( - but that is another issue). Pressing Fn+F7 itself
> does not trigger this issue.

Good.

> - Fn+Home actually produces two events:
>   1. ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001010
>   2. video LCD0 00000086 00000000

Well, HKEY 1010 is the standard thinkpad mapping for fn+Home.  So far so
good.  Does it go away if you set the ibm-acpi hotkey mask to 0x00 (it
should) ?

Video LCD0 0x86 0x0 is new, but there is nothing wrong with it...
it is "brightness up" (ACPI Spec 3.0a, page 577 and 582).

WTF does the ThinkPad ACPI BIOS does not generate events for brightness down
is anyone's guess (I think we may be missing something important in
ibm-acpi, but that's a *very* long standing issue, if true).

But here's something I expect might shed light on the issue: Video FOO 0x86
is trapped, and acted upon by the standard generic ACPI video module!
Please disable it (remove video.o module, or recompile kernel without
ACPI_VIDEO), and tell me what happens :-)

  Henrique Holschuh