ibm-acpi development, git trees, etc

Well, I have spent some time getting to know git, stgit and cogito.
Unfortunately it does take some time to really get all the quirks, and
those three *are* quirky like all heck.

Anyway, I won't stale any further. I will push upstream a set of changes for
ibm-acpi which you all know, the thermal and extended fan-control plus
watchdog.

Shem, it includes the T43 ec-bug-fix you don't like, as it worked better
here with userspace than the more correct fix.  However, I hope that fix
won't be needed for long.

The TODO list for ibm-acpi is:

	1. Put it in the device model, so that we can migrate to sysfs
	   (this is independent of other partial migrations such as the
	   backlight or led classes)
	2. Add kernel-space fan monitoring at module startup (disabled
	   later, should run for about one minute or so).
		- automatically detect disengaged tachometers
		- automatically detect a fan in auto mode when the
		  ec reports it is in level 7
	3. Add rate control to procfs and any sysfs APIs, to avoid local
	DoS. Read fan speed once every 5s, read temperatures once every 2s.

The TODO feature lists is:
	1. Sysfs interface (hwmon like)
	2. Add kernel-space fan control override

The TODO study for feature list is:
	1. Implement *all* features as standard ACPI features as if the
	   DSDT provided them natively (i.e. we get new thermal zones,
	   use ACPI fan trip points to implement kernel-space fan
	   control, export the fan control as a power resource, etc).

The Fix-it list for acpi-test upstream tree is:
	1. Implement backlight properly (will push upstream)
	2. Rename backlight device to something less cryptic than "ibm"

Of course, merging the led code is also in the list, when it gets ready for
such.

Now, for the public git tree.  I have asked Pasky to add a git tree at
repo.or.cz for ibm-acpi.  The tree will carry a number of branches, but
there is nothing really useful there right now.

gitweb and info url:
http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git

1. branch upstream/linus (last linus tree used for a rebase)
2. branch upstream/acpi-test (last acpi-test tree used for a rebase)
	* all ibm-acpi development targets acpi-test for upstream merging
3. branch upstream/linux-stable (last stable kernel released used for
	ibm-acpi tarballs and other backports)

I am still looking at what I should be doing for the devel branches. I can
use stgit, but that requires some git usage that is annoying on remote repos
(you will need to use Pull: +<git uri> to disable fast-forward-merge
checking).  I am studying git-rerere and git-rebase now and I will see what
I can do.

stgit devel branches, if any are made public, will be named stgit/*.  Of
course, all of them might be rewond, so you need to know what you are doing
to pull or clone them.  I don't know how well stgit branches play with
remote repos, as it has extra metadata.

Any suggestions about the above?

  Henrique Holschuh