Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] problem under ubuntu edgy

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Please make sure you don't strip the ml address. I added it again.

Thanks.

>> Also, is there a way to check the flags that were used to compile a
>> kernel?
>
> Yes, as ubuntu base on ebian I guess you have something in /boot .
> It's called config-$KERNELVERSION.

OK. Looks like IBM_DOCK is not set. Sounds like you say it's not really
needed anymore.

ACPI_DOCK is set to module. There is, in fact a dock.ko file in
/kernel/drivers/acpi . I modprobed it, but I still don't have a dock
file in /proc/acpi or proc/acpi/ibm . But it sounds like that's not a
problem. I don't know if the module was loading automatically before,
but it is now, after I modprobed it once. I have a colleague with a
setup similar to mine, who I've asked to check if lsmod reports dock
being loaded.

> It would be helpfull if you could give a bit more information about
> what you like to do.
>
> I use my T40p with a Dock II and the docking driver. No more need to
> have script echo something in /proc/acpi/ibm/dock . I just hit the
> undock button on the dock, the driver does everything I need, the
> light on the dock switched off and I can undock my ThinkPad. Docking
> works even better; just connect it to the dock and that's it.

I've managed to identify the error as having to do with unregistering
/dev/hdc when the button is pressed. That is, if I'm docked, and press
the undock button, it fails to deregister /dev/hdc and then it locks
hard. I've just realized that if I unregister it manually with the
command in the now-not-needed-and-not-executed undock.sh script, I can
safely undock. When I dock, the dock light comes on and ports get
replicated, but /dev/hdc doesn't register. It registers OK manually.

> JFYI: There is a docking bug in all kernels before 2.6.19-rc4. The new
> stable version 2.6.19, whoich should show up in one or two weeks, have
> a fix for that.

I see. Since I'm running 2.6.17, maybe I'll just have to wait. Do the
symptoms I describe above sound like they could be caused by the bug you
mention?

Did this bug get introduced after 2.6.15, when switching away from
ibm-acpi/dock? All of the docking and
undocking worked fine under ubuntu dapper, which I believe used 2.6.15.

Many thanks,

Jaime

> regards
> Stefan Schmidt