Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] problem under ubuntu edgy

Hello.

Please make sure you don't strip the ml address. I added it again.

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 21:22, Jaime Davila wrote:
> Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:24, Jaime Davila wrote:
> >>Basically, even though lsmod reports that ibm_acpi is loaded, I have no
> >>dock file in my /proc/acpi/ibm folder. That causes the dock.sh and
> >>undock.sh scripts to fail. I tried touching or editing a dock file, but
> >>the file cannot be created that way.
> >
> >Your kernel has not enabled CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_DOCK. But you should be
> >able to handle with the new docking kernel driver.
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. When you mention the "new docking kernel
> driver," do you mean a driver that should already be part of the kernel
> I'm using, or a driver I need to build and load?

It is part of the kenel already. At least in 2.6.18 not sure about
2.6.17. Anybody know better?

> Also, is there a way to check the flags that were used to compile a
> kernel?

Yes, as ubuntu base on ebian I guess you have something in /boot .
It's called config-$KERNELVERSION.

> I wonder why CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_DOCK was left out, but other stuff
> (leading to other files in /proc/acpi/ibm) are still in. I'm wondering
> if I should be filling a bug report to the ubuntu bug tracking system.

As CONFIG_ACPI_IBM_DOCK is a extra option it is normal that the other
stuff is there, but no dock. If the ubuntu guys enabled the docking
driver (CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK) instead everything is fine.

It would be helpfull if you could give a bit more information about
what you like to do.

I use my T40p with a Dock II and the docking driver. No more need to
have script echo something in /proc/acpi/ibm/dock . I just hit the
undock button on the dock, the driver does everything I need, the
light on the dock switched off and I can undock my ThinkPad. Docking
works even better; just connect it to the dock and that's it.

JFYI: There is a docking bug in all kernels before 2.6.19-rc4. The new
stable version 2.6.19, whoich should show up in one or two weeks, have
a fix for that.

regards
Stefan Schmidt