Re: ibm-acpi development, git trees, etc

On 11/21/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I have spent some time getting to know git, stgit and cogito.
> Unfortunately it does take some time to really get all the quirks, and
> those three *are* quirky like all heck.

You may want to report your experience on the git@vger list, there is
some talk now of fixing stuff and quality input from new users can be
very useful.

> Shem, it includes the T43 ec-bug-fix you don't like, as it worked better
> here with userspace than the more correct fix.

Err, which one and why didn't I like it? So many patches...

>         3. Add rate control to procfs and any sysfs APIs, to avoid local
>         DoS. Read fan speed once every 5s, read temperatures once every 2s.

I don't think this is right to have driver-specific code for this.
It's an issue shared by many drivers, so ad-hoc solutions are the
wrong way to go about it; see the recent threads about battery and
hdaps monitoring. For now, just trust the user; there are so many
other ways to DoS a Linux system isn't not even funny.

(My latest example: turns out that an accidental fork loop with
oprofile running means painful threashing death. And it effectively
halted the rest of userspace, tp-fancontrol included, causing the fan
to spin furiously in disengaged mode for half an hour before I pulled
the plug.)

> The TODO feature lists is:
>         2. Add kernel-space fan control override

What do you mean?

> I am still looking at what I should be doing for the devel branches. I can
> use stgit, but that requires some git usage that is annoying on remote repos
> (you will need to use Pull: +<git uri> to disable fast-forward-merge
> checking).  I am studying git-rerere and git-rebase now and I will see what
> I can do.
>
> stgit devel branches, if any are made public, will be named stgit/*.  Of
> course, all of them might be rewond, so you need to know what you are doing
> to pull or clone them.  I don't know how well stgit branches play with
> remote repos, as it has extra metadata.

I don't think the StGIT metadata will survive a push or fetch (but
please do ask Catalin on git@vger). I think your options are:
1. Just push --force the tip of your StGIT stack, and tell people to use +ref.
2. Push the tip of your StGIT stack, using a new branch every
time.This is essentially what's done with the -mm tree.
3. Linearly append patches, instead of fixing earlier ones.
4. Apply git on top of a quilt tree.

Again, this is worth bringing up in git@vger.

  Shem