Re: How to avoid renaming of network devices (eth5 to eth0, eth6 to eth1, and so on)

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu with udev on a Linux machine
>
> From time to time it happens that network devices are renamed after boot,
> and this is due to udev (I know for sure that the reason for this is
> uboot,  because if I delete the udev
> network rules file from /etc/udev/rules.d/, and reboot again, this
> renaming does not occur).
>
> What I mean more specifically is this:
> I boot and I have (when running "ifconfig -a") eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3
> (I have 4 network cards).
> sometimes after reboot I get with ""ifconfig -a" " the following :
> eth6, eth7, eth8, eth9

The udev version in systemd does not do any of the automatic the
network rename rules creation in /etc anymore. It creates far more
problems than it solves, so it is all gone in current releases.

In older versions, the rule generator can be "masked" by creating an
empty rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ that disables the rules file
/lib/udev/rules.d/ which calls the network rules generator.

Kay