Re: udev fork

On 9/12/2012 10:49 AM, sickmind@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I know that many people do not like the way udev development went
recently, therefore we have a systemd-free fork of udev. At the moment
most of the changes (except for systemd integration) have been ported,
and no stability issues are noticed. I hope it will be useful for those
who don't like systemd being pushed in their systems.

First, I believe that the overhead of maintaining a systemd+udevd configuration that allows disabling of all systemd dependencies is relatively trivial. Therefore, not doing so (especially when others are submitting patches to help it along) is the height of seppuku arrogance/laziness on the part of the systemd+udevd development team.

Having said this, as the maintainer of MiniMyth, I have found the disjoint nature of sysvinit and udev to be cumbersome in a world of hotplug hardware that requires starting/stopping userspace daemons or changing userspace configuration. I (and I imagine others) have found hotplug requires combining of init that starts/stops services and udev that can trigger what services need to be started and stopped. In order to solve this problem for MiniMyth some years ago, I wrote my own custom sysvinit and udev scripts that make it work for MiniMyth. However, this has been a kludge. If the tighter integration of init and hotplug makes this more simple over time (and this is a big if and often change makes things more complicated), then I believe there value.

However, for systems that do not need hotplug (of which there are many), requiring the overhead of systemd at either build or run time is a bad idea.

This is just my opinion based on my experience. Take it or leave it.