Re: detection usb camera devices in my own application

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 13:27, Sudarshan Jagadale <snjagadale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to use these camera in my frame work so i need to use /dev/video0
> device and those are mapped at /proc/bus/input/devices..

The video0 devices are not visible in 'input' devices. That's just the
button on the camera, which is its own device.

Maybe you mean /proc/bus/usb/devices? That file does not exist on
recent kernels, and should not be used for anything. The information
about devices is all /sys, not in /proc.

> but if some one
> removes kernel module to use another kernel module for another camera then
> this information lost and again regenerats it for another camera... \
>
> my requirment is to support the multiple camera types on single system...
> like i want to support logitech camera and quanta camera ...and both has
> their own Kernel  driver module....
>
> so there will  be rmmod for one kernel module and insmod for another one...

You need to make sure then, that the specific drivers will not bind to
the camera which they should no handle, that's can only be done inside
the driver itself, not from outside.

There is no standard way to prevent a driver to search for all devices
it can handle, it will just bind to all devices which do not have a
driver already.

Kay