Re: udev cdrom_id rules prevent unmounted CD from spinning down

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 20:28, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/18/2010 08:20 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> Yeah, the problem is that we already have the problem with current
>> software that causes the event loop. And we need a solution now. :)
>>
>> We might need to switch the AN stuff off by default in the kernel, and
>> only enable it when we know we are able to handle it?
>
> Yeah, somehow ignoring those events was what I suggested.  I thought
> maybe it can be done in userland?

It doesn't look like we can do that. But while thinking about that:
Nick, if you run:
  udevadm monitor --property
and access the device that it generates an event. does it always
contain the line:
  SDEV_MEDIA_CHANGE=1
?
That would surely be incorrect to send from the kernel, if it isn't a
media change. And we might check if we can suppress these.

> Currently there is no switch on the
> driver side.  If the feature is there and the host supports it, it's
> automatically enabled.  Hmmm... When we have proper in kernel media
> presence polling, AN should be piped through there anyway so it makes
> sense to prevent it from reaching userland directly now.  How does
> that sound?

Yeah, that sounds great. It would be just nice to have something now,
so we can fix the current issues. The in-kernel polling might need
some time still. :)

Kay