Re: udev cdrom_id rules prevent unmounted CD from spinning down

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 20:14, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/18/2010 07:53 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> Tejun,
>> an AN capable SATA optical drive seems to send AN events with every
>> open(). For userspace these look the same as the media changed events,
>> and cause a loop when udev checks if there is a new media. Any ideas
>> if these AN events are expected, or useful for anything?
>
> The open() path issues several commands and it could be that the drive
> is raising AN when certain conditions are met just in case.  After all
> windows only uses single command for media presence polling, so
> there's nothing stopping vendors from using TUR, for example, as the
> level triggered check point to see whether media is available and
> raise AN if so.  After all, that wouldn't lose any event and in case
> the internal state went out of sync, it would work as an easy resync
> point.
>
> Long term, I think the only solution is to do what windows does for
> media presence polling; otherwise, we'll keep running into various
> obscure issues.  For short term, I dunno.  Don't use AN for the time
> being?  :-)

Yeah, the problem is that we already have the problem with current
software that causes the event loop. And we need a solution now. :)

We might need to switch the AN stuff off by default in the kernel, and
only enable it when we know we are able to handle it?

Kay