Re: can't seem to ignore a battery

david wrote:
 > Hey,
 >
 > On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 11:06 -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i'm hoping someone can explain why my rule containing an
 > > "ignore_device" option for a power_supply device seems to be
 > > ignored.  some sample output from udevadm test, and udevadm are
 > > available here:  http://pastie.org/695548
 >
 > Like last_rule (which we covered a few weeks ago), things like
 > ignore_device probably needs to go (although I haven't thought much
 > about it and I don't know why it was added - probably a broken driver I
 > guess).

from the googling i did while trying to make it work, i'd say
that "ignore_device" seems to be used mostly in cases of broken
devices that the user wants to pretend don't exist, or to suppress
the mounting of certain partitions that are of zero interest.

 > Trying to hide or ignore events at the udev level is just wrong
 > on a number of levels.

as i said, i don't know much about how udev and its clients are
supposed to interact, so i beg some patience:  i'd think that
quenching unwanted events at the source would be preferable to
having to convince every client to ignore them.  udev has the
ability to do lots of different things with an event.  why
wouldn't "do absolutely nothing" be an interesting option?
(my case seems like a perfect example:  while it might be
preferable to ignore the extra battery at each client, not all
clients currently have that capability.)

paul