Re: can't seem to ignore a battery

Hey,

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 11:06 -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> i'm hoping someone can explain why my rule containing an
> "ignore_device" option for a power_supply device seems to be
> ignored.  some sample output from udevadm test, and udevadm are
> available here:  http://pastie.org/695548

Like last_rule (which we covered a few weeks ago), things like
ignore_device probably needs to go (although I haven't thought much
about it and I don't know why it was added - probably a broken driver I
guess). Trying to hide or ignore events at the udev level is just wrong
on a number of levels.

> (it may be that i simply have a gross misunderstanding about
> how udev and its clients interact -- this is as deep as i've
> ever delved here.)
>
> background:  this is on the OLPC XO-1.5 laptop.  we have a legacy
> battery driver that we need to keep running for a while, a) because
> it provides some data that our power analysis scripts rely on,
> and b) because we don't yet trust the DSDT code that drives the
> ACPI driver.
>
> because of the duplicate battery issue (see question #1 of the
> g-p-m FAQ) i'd like hal and devkit to simply ignore the legacy
> driver.  i can easily fix hal with an fdi snippet, but haven't
> figured out how to do the same with devkit-power.  i assumed
> using a udev "ignore_device" option would take care of it, but
> that's where i'm having trouble.

You probably want a feature in DeviceKit-power so you can set the udev
property DKP_PRESENTATION_HIDE to 1 so the daemon can convey to users
(such as gnome-power-manager) that a given device should be ignored for
presentation and/or policy.

We have similar things in DeviceKit-disks (such as
DKD_PRESENTATION_HIDE) for this - see the DeviceKit-disks man page for
details. Talk to Richard (Cc'ed) about such a feature?

Thanks,
David