Re: udev lvm permisions

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 19:21, Scott James Remnant <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 19:19 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> Libdevmapper just needs to synchronize/integrate with udev in a
>> race-free way instead.
>>
> Aggressively agree.
>
> Nothing on the system should be calling mknod() in /dev anymore except
> udev, and should instead synchronise with udev itself.  Everything else
> is a temporary workaround or hack.

Yeah. And the stuff plugging into udev events, the udev rules,
DeviceKit, the Desktop, all they want to know all the symlinks
belonging to the device, proper events, and not search in /dev for
random things. Therefore we need to integrate with udev properly.

In fact, it's good that you started shipping these patches, so it
shows how stuff should work. And it hopefully puts some pressure on
the guys who should fix their stuff after all these years. Hint, hint
to someone in the Cc: list. :)

Kay