Re: udev lvm permisions

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 18:59, Scott James Remnant <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 18:19 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

>> > I don't agree that there's any race here.
>>
>> Should be all in the archives, you never responded that time to my concerns. :)
>>
> I could only find one concern noted, which the code proves is incorrect.
> Assuming you mean the time period between stat() and rename(), one or
> the other of the syscalls with fail - and both udev and devmapper will
> loop and repair the situation.

Yeah, it was something like that. If I remember correctly, also the
setting of the permissions and the selinux context. We added the parts
of these changes of udev, to support such a logic. But the
libdevmapper part didn't look like it covered the possible races,
especially rename dm-rename events, and the case where /dev/mapper/
are symlinks, like they should be in a udev setup. Even when it
usually does not fail in real world setups, in general it's nothing
that we want to support: two independent processes without
synchronization, fight about the same files in /dev. Libdevmapper just
needs to synchronize/integrate with udev in a race-free way instead.

Thanks,
Kay