Re: udev 129 says it supports linux 2.6.19 but prints a warning

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/10/4 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx>:
>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I just updated udev to 129 and got this,
>>>  udev: deprecated sysfs layout (CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) is unsupported
>>> However, I have no such option in my kernel config (2.6.19). I assume this
>>> means 2.6.19 will soon not be supported in udev. It would perhaps be nice
>>> if the message said which kernel version would be required after the
>>> deprecation, and how far in the future this will happen?
>>
>> There is no specific plan to remove basic support for the deprecated
>> sysfs layout. It will likely continue to work fine for basic udev
>> operations. But people working on current udev versions usually don't
>> test this anymore, so it might be that there are bugs introduced which
>> are not handled, hence the "is unsupported" not "it will stop
>> working".
>
> Ah, okay. In the commit message you used the phrasing "Future udev versions
> will depend on the current sysfs layout".

Yeah, we kind of already "depend" on it. It just depends on what
features you are looking at. We can not know which udev features other
services use, they usually just depend on a specific udev version, not
a kernel/sysfs version, but udev can not offer some features on older
kernels.

>> The deprecated sysfs layout misses information, userspace starts to
>> rely on, it misses devices, which are not exported by the kernel,
>> because they could not be inserted into the sysfs device tree without
>> breaking things. Also some more specialized udev rule features, which
>> are used, do not work with the old layout. Storage volume handling and
>> asynchronous media change events in DeviceKit also not work with the
>> old sysfs layout.
>>
>> So it's not strictly a udev requirement, it's that system services
>> will increasingly depend on new features udev offers, which will fail
>> in in subtle ways with older kernels or the deprecated sysfs layout.
>
> Okay, I interpreted the "depend on" as "require" in the commit message.

Yeah, it's hard to tell. It will not stop creating device nodes, but
the rest we can not be sure about. :)

>> I can change the message to:
>>   deprecated sysfs layout (kernel too old or CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED)
>> is unsupported
>> or something else, if that sounds better?
>
> That is probably a little less confusing, thanks :).

I'll do this.

Thanks,
Kay