Re: udev 129 says it supports linux 2.6.19 but prints a warning

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just updated udev to 129 and got this,
>  udev: deprecated sysfs layout (CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) is unsupported
> However, I have no such option in my kernel config (2.6.19). I assume this
> means 2.6.19 will soon not be supported in udev. It would perhaps be nice
> if the message said which kernel version would be required after the
> deprecation, and how far in the future this will happen?

There is no specific plan to remove basic support for the deprecated
sysfs layout. It will likely continue to work fine for basic udev
operations. But people working on current udev versions usually don't
test this anymore, so it might be that there are bugs introduced which
are not handled, hence the "is unsupported" not "it will stop
working".

The deprecated sysfs layout misses information, userspace starts to
rely on, it misses devices, which are not exported by the kernel,
because they could not be inserted into the sysfs device tree without
breaking things. Also some more specialized udev rule features, which
are used, do not work with the old layout. Storage volume handling and
asynchronous media change events in DeviceKit also not work with the
old sysfs layout.

So it's not strictly a udev requirement, it's that system services
will increasingly depend on new features udev offers, which will fail
in in subtle ways with older kernels or the deprecated sysfs layout.

I can change the message to:
   deprecated sysfs layout (kernel too old or CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED)
is unsupported
or something else, if that sounds better?

Thanks,
Kay