Re: udev 129 says it supports linux 2.6.19 but prints a warning

2008/10/4 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just updated udev to 129 and got this,
>>  udev: deprecated sysfs layout (CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) is unsupported
>> However, I have no such option in my kernel config (2.6.19). I assume this
>> means 2.6.19 will soon not be supported in udev. It would perhaps be nice
>> if the message said which kernel version would be required after the
>> deprecation, and how far in the future this will happen?
>
> There is no specific plan to remove basic support for the deprecated
> sysfs layout. It will likely continue to work fine for basic udev
> operations. But people working on current udev versions usually don't
> test this anymore, so it might be that there are bugs introduced which
> are not handled, hence the "is unsupported" not "it will stop
> working".

Ah, okay. In the commit message you used the phrasing "Future udev versions
will depend on the current sysfs layout".

> The deprecated sysfs layout misses information, userspace starts to
> rely on, it misses devices, which are not exported by the kernel,
> because they could not be inserted into the sysfs device tree without
> breaking things. Also some more specialized udev rule features, which
> are used, do not work with the old layout. Storage volume handling and
> asynchronous media change events in DeviceKit also not work with the
> old sysfs layout.
>
> So it's not strictly a udev requirement, it's that system services
> will increasingly depend on new features udev offers, which will fail
> in in subtle ways with older kernels or the deprecated sysfs layout.

Okay, I interpreted the "depend on" as "require" in the commit message.

> I can change the message to:
>   deprecated sysfs layout (kernel too old or CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED)
> is unsupported
> or something else, if that sounds better?

That is probably a little less confusing, thanks :).

--
Mikael Magnusson