Re: default udev rules

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 17:23, Marco d'Itri <md@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 09, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We like to remind everybody, that all distros should work towards a
>> default udev rules set, instead of maintaining their own home-grown
> Not going to happen, because:
> - I consider my rules much more readable and elegant than yours

I see they look different, I can't really see any significant
difference in elegance. :) But sure, patches are always welcome.

> - anyway there are differences in the permissions (e.g. uucp vs. dialout)
> - the default rules are unusable for Debian since we need to support
>  older kernels (currently and until Xen dom0 will be supported by new
>  kernels or obsoleted by KVM, >= 2.6.18)

Gentoo does the same, and uses default rules just fine. Just
coordinate with them to generate an optional common rule for old
kernels, or it can all be done just fine in a 40-debian.rules file.

>> Please consider adapting the default rules now, and let us find a common
>> solution for everybody. New packages, like the upcoming DeviceKit-*
>> packages will depend on a recent udev with a proper rules setup.
> You should formalize what "a proper rules setup" is, not make other
> packages depend on the undocumented behaviour of a default configuration.

Sorry, too many things change too fast, and it may speed up even more
depending DeviceKit's progress, while we are moving stuff from HAL
(which will go away) to udev. If you use the default rules, you are
fine. :)

Thanks,
Kay