[Hotplug_sig] [Lhms-devel] hot-remove patches/instructions

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Mel Gorman wrote:

> No, it hasn't. It's really a NUMA thing and there are a number of
> important restrictions as far as hotremove is concerned.

No, page migration is not only a NUMA thing, and yes there are still
restrictions but there is code in Andrews tree to relax some of them.

The migrate_pages() function is designed to migrate between arbitrary
lists of pages (or using a allocation function(mm)). You can use that in
the non NUMA case without a problem (Hugh Dickins did that to test the
page migration on SMP as far as I can tell). It was designed after all by
keeping the needs of memory hotplug in mind.