[Hotplug_sig] [Lhms-devel] hot-remove patches/instructions

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Dave Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:00 -0700, jnorman wrote:
>> Where can I find the patches and instructions for hot-remove for memory
>> hotplug?
>
> If you'd like to document all of this and post it somewhere, I'm sure it
> would be appreciated.  We could probably use a wiki or something.
>
> Mel Gorman (cc'd) probably has the most recent set of patches handy.

I don't have a recent set of patches any more. It has been some months
since I was last working with hot-remove and then I was taking patches
from http://sr71.net/patches/ and rebasing them to a current kernel.

At the time, I was using the mhp trees from http://sr71.net/patches and
rebasing what was needed to the latest kernel. I lost the machine with
those patches since but at a glance, I needed a number of the K* and P*
patches from that tree. I don't remember it being particularly difficult
to get hotremove working but it was not rock solid either.

>> For the test cases I need to be able to determine how much physical
>> memory the system has without the memory being onlined, is there a way
>> to do this?
>
> All memory known to the kernel is presented in the same place as the
> online memory: /sys/devices/system/memory.  The only difference is that
> the state shows 'offline'.

What I used to do was let the system boot as normal, then do something
like

1. Record what memory looked like
2. echo offline to /sys/devices/system/memory on a number of banks
3. online the banks again using the probe file
4. Run a number of tests and benchmarks
5. Try and offline all memory and measure the success rate

The tests were run as part of a program called bench-hotremovecapability
that used a very primitive helper script called hotmemory_onoff. They are
both part of VMRegress
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vmregress/vmregress-0.41.tar.gz but I
stress that they are very primitive.

>> I will also need a way to migrate pages in memory and then be able to
>> verify that they have been successfully migrated, how would I go about
>> that?
>
> This is actually a completely separate topic.  There is some NUMA page
> migration functionality in the kernel, but it isn't tied in to hotplug
> as far as I know.

No, it hasn't. It's really a NUMA thing and there are a number of
important restrictions as far as hotremove is concerned.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center