[Hotplug_sig] Re: how to reboot into temporary kernel?

Hi Brett,

Is there a way to boot to a temporary kernel non-interactively?  I.e.,
I need to automate an Itanium64 to boot newly compiled kernels, and if
the kernel fails, to be able to fallback to a known good kernel, so the
system can continue testing other kernels.

Thus, I don't think I can do it at the elilo commandline, nor use the
elilo -p option.  Is there another way that I could do it that could be
more easily automated?

Thanks,
Bryce

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
 > Im very familiar with lilo and would like to
 > learn elilo. I just installed debian on my
 > ia64 itanium from hp and I need to upgrade everything
 > I need the 2.6.8.1 kernel with iscsi drivers and all
 > ... Anyways I want to experiment with the new kernel
 > my question is how do I pass a one time boot option to
 > elilo?

 There are a couple of ways.  If you want to pass everything on the
 command line, just pass the name of the kernel, and any kernel
 arguments to elilo.  i.e. (from the README):

 fs0:\> elilo -i initrd-2.4.9 vmlinuz-2.4.9 root=/dev/sda2
 console="ttyS0,115200n8"

 Assuming you"ve modified your elilo.conf to contain the new kernel and
 proper kernel parameters in a label/stanza, you can also pass the "-p"
 option to elilo, to ensure that you get an interactive prompt, then
 when you see the "ELILO" prompt, hit <tab><tab> to list the available
 labels, and type the one you want to boot from.

 Cheers!
 --
 Brett Johnson <brett@xxxxxx>
     -  i  n  v  e  n  t  -