[Hotplug_sig] Re: ANN: lhcs-regression-0.3 released

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:38 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:13:52AM -0700, Mark Delcambre wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 July 2005 08:47 am, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> > > To make these test cases easy to implement and use, could you
> > > please make sure the scripts have comments that state the goal
> > > of the test case, if you haven't already?  Sorry, I should have
> > > thought of this when we went over the Psuedo code.
>
> Yes, we should have them print out a couple sentences explaining the
> purpose.  Do you think we can just take the description that you wrote
> on your test case summary page?

Yes, the purpose from the test case summary page is good.  If that
does'nt match somehow, we need to correct the web page.

If you are exporting the number of loops, then you can print
it once at the beginning right? Otherwise, that's a lot of
extra unnecessary output.

Speaking of output, maybe we need a flag that lets you only report
failures?  I'm torn on this one, because you might want to see where
the failure fits in to other successes and if you don't capture it
on a long run, you have to rerun.  Of course you can always
turn the flag off... This isn't a big thing for someone to add, but
it would be nice if it was consistent across the scripts.

Your thoughts?

> > > Did you also create an envelop script for the test cases that
> > > allows the inner test to be repeated over a long period of time?
> > > Or are you going to do the inner tests first, then move on to
> > > the repetitions?
> > I think that it is the case that we will finish with all 6 test cases before
> > writing the envelop script.
>
> I think the wrapper script should be pretty straightforward; it should
> just define the number of loops to run, then invoke all of the
> hotplug*.sh tests in the directory.  The little for loop I wrote
> yesterday could be used as a starting point.
Easy, I know, but an accompanying loop that has reasonable
defaults lets someone run this quickly without very much
investigation.  That's one goal.  Second is to run it by adding
repetitions and background activity, but I doubt we can
package that -- document how to, certainly.

We'll see.

Thanks!