[Hotplug_sig] MINUTES for Hotplug SIG Con Call 03/26

Summary list of ARs from this meeting:

AR for Mark and Bryce: Transfer project info w/ supporting
tests/scripts/docs.

AR for Bryce (after he's caught up :-) upgrade the CPU test scripts to
include more checking and write a "stress test" wrapper script

AR for Joel: Post pointer to hardware management console downloads

AR for Mary: check on firmware upgrade status

AR for Natalie: Post a pointer to Li Shaohua's latest patch.

AR for Martine:
1. Ask Silvester for an outline on the "on-demand computing" use case.
2. Ask for a list of possible subcases from the people that volunteer to
help on the virtualization use case. 3. Send mail to platform management
people to scope their interest in re-energizing their participation in
the SIG.

#################################

Attendees:
Joel Schopp, IBM
Mary Meredith, OSDL
Mark Wong, OSDL
Bryce Harrington, OSDL
Bruce Vessey, Unisys
Natalie Protasevich, Unisys
Martine Silbermann, HP

	* Welcome to Bryce Harrington
Bryce Harrington will be replacing Mark Wong and taking on the
regression testing effort at OSDL. We thank Mark for his contributions
to the SIG and welcome Bryce to the group. Mark will be spending some
time w/ Bryce to transfer the project over.

	* Memory hotplug regression testing
The system in the lab is finally booting but Mark didn't get a chance to
run the regression test on it yet. It seems that the firmware that
supports the hypervisor is not installed on that system so we're only
able to create a single LPAR. Joel will send a pointer to the hardware
management console bits needed on the partition to move the resources so
that we can test the CPU hotplug code on this system while we're waiting
to get the firmware upgraded.

Bryce has submitted a request for use of an ia64 system in the lab.

	* CPU hotplug regression testing
We had a discussion on how to check why a request for taking a CPU down
was rejected. The scripts need to be updated to at least check that the
values in sysfs are set to what we expect them to be. Also some sort of
"wrapper script" needs to run the test script in a loop to provide for
more stress testing.

Natalie is waiting on Li Shaohua to stabilize his patch so she can merge
her own changes. She will post a pointer to Li's latest patch so
Bryce/Mark or anyone interested can download it and test it.

	* Use cases
Silvester agreed to help on the use case for on-demand computing but
he'll first put some effort on updating the usability section of the
capabilities document. Martine will coordinate with him to avoid overlap
with the virtualization use case.

Martine will send mail to the people that volunteered to help on the
virtualization use case to generate a list of possible subcases on that
subject.

	* Paris meeting
At the Paris meeting we'll give a brief status on the SIG and also get a
chance to bring to the attention of the working groups specific items
that we believe need more resources (hw, people, $$$, community
attention, etc...). If there's any specific topic you'd like to be
mentioned please send mail to Mary or Martine.

We discussed the fact that the hotplug memory community is currently
concentrating their efforts on getting patches accepted for hot-add and
structural changes needed for hot-remove. Regression testing on
hot-remove is still very desirable, in particular there are no known
written tests for migration and allocation (testing mostly done
"manually" by developers). The SIG could greatly help by generating such
tests.

The activity and participation level to the SIG from the platform
management people has been very low lately. Martine will contact the
interested parties to try to determine what/if/how we can re-energize
that project.

	* Others
The hotplug memory paper for OLS is written and is full of very useful
information. It will not be accessible to the public until after OLS.
Anyone who would like to see it earlier please contact Joel.

Next meeting is scheduled for May 10th at 11:00am -12:00pm PST, 2:00pm -
3:00pm EST

Thanks for your participation.
Martine J. Silbermann