[Hotplug_sig] Re: [Lhms-devel] 2.6.12-rc1-mhp3

No change, I've made a couple comments below.

Thanks,
Mark

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:35:01AM -0600, Joel Schopp wrote:

> >CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
>
> We generally don't run with preemt on our servers.  Should work but is
> not widely used on the platform and won't help performance any.

I've seen performance improvments on the order of 5% on OLTP tests
with it enabled, but on ia32 platforms.

> ># CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU is not set
>
> It's part of the defconfig now.  Come on, you know you want to.  That
> way you could run those hotplug cpu tests you have.

I don't know why I can't change this with menuconfig, but I'll make sure
it's enabled when I need it.

> >#
> ># Graphics support
> >#
> >CONFIG_FB=y
>
> You got FB support to build on a 2.6.12-rc1 based kernel?  I had to
> patch to do it.  You must be doing something I'm not.  Unless you plan
> to use a video card you might as well turn this off too.

I've never had problem compiling with this enable.  xfs on the
otherhand...

> ># CONFIG_IRQSTACKS is not set
>
> What made you decide to turn IRQSTACKS off?  Given you are panicking
> right after initializing IRQs I wouldn't be surprised if this is your
> problem.  Should it work when turned off, yes.  But again it might not
> be well tested.

Make oldconfig decided for me.