[Hotplug_sig] Re: [Lhms-devel] 2.6.12-rc1-mhp3

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:54:24AM -0800, Mark Wong wrote:
> I'm still panicking.  Is still more helpful (config attached)?

Mark,

Sorry I haven't had more time to look into this, but I got
pulled into some higher priority things. :(  I went to OSDL
and ran some debug code on Mark's machine a couple of weeks
ago.

Mark's machine is panicing because the OF device tree strings
are being overwritten/corrupted.  Hence, the call to
of_find_node_by_type() in xics_init_IRQ fails and panics.

Upon further examination, I discovered that the device strings
were still good at the beginning of paging_init(), but were
overwritten by the time we were leaving paging_init().

Note that paging_init() initializes the zone and page structs.
I suspect a problem in the memmap_init() (actually memmap_init_zone)
routine.  However, I've taken a good look here and nothing really
stands out.

Hopefully, others can use this info and help track down the
root cause.  Most likely, this is a ppc64 specific problem.
But, previously I did find a memmap_init bug (arch independent)
that was only found via the ppc64 code.

I haven't given up on this, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Mike