[Hotplug_sig] MINUTES for Hotplug SIG Con Call 03/15

Hi all,

Since the AR's are often lost in the text I decided to duplicate them at
the beginning of the minutes so we can easily keep track of them.

ARs for the whole group:
	* everyone is invited to add test cases to the existing list.
You can submit your suggestions either by mail to this list or directly
into the new wiki site.
	* identify items/resources/needs that the steering committee can
help us with.
	* propose topic for LKS relating to any hotplug issue.

AR for Martine:
	* ping Dave Hansen for LKS topic.

Attendees:
Joel Schopp, IBM
Mary Meredith, OSDL
Mark Wong, OSDL
Natalie Protasevich, Unisys
David Lively, Virtual Iron
Martine Silbermann, HP

	* CPU hotplug testing
We discussed the test cases proposed by Mark Wong.
For test case 1 a suggestion was made to make it more intensive. Also to
check if the writes are correct Mary suggested to use known pattern and
check for errors in those patterns after the writes are completed.
For test case 2 we discussed the fact that OSDL should keep track and
generate a list of all the different monitoring tools and specify what
type of hotplug events they can or cannot handle. For test case 5 it was
suggested to include stress tests under heavy IO activity.

AR for the whole group: everyone is invited to add test cases to the
existing list. You can submit your suggestions either by mail to this
list or directly into the new wiki site.

	* PLM changes
Per our requests the output from PLM now provides more details on the
compilation errors. A link is now provided on the summary page that
point to a list of zipped files containing the detailed output of the
compilations. Also a link to the config options used for that specific
compilation is provided. For an example of this new output you can look
at patches 4298 and 4299. Thank you to the PLM support team for
providing those features.

Dave Hansen mentioned in one of his mails that he's doing
cross-compilation already but we could still help by booting the new
patches on hw that he doesn't have access to.

	* Patch submissions
David Lively shared his patches to avoid that Top crashes when CPUs are
offlined with this list. Those patches are against 3.2.1 and the current
version is 3.2.5 so he'll need to generate his patches against that
version before submitting them to the maintainer.

Natalie hasn't gotten any feedback on her CPU patches for ia32 from the
couple of people she sent them to. We suggested that she extend the
reviewers' list to a broader open list.

David Hansen has submitted 3 sets of patches for hotplug memory, they
are still being reviewed and commented on.

	* DCL Tech Boards Meeting
Mary gave us a short summary of what was discussed in the last
Face-2-Face on March 9-10.

AR for the whole group: Identify items/resources/needs that the steering
committee can help us with.

It seems that the format of "use cases" is a more widely pleasing means
of communication that clearly spells out requirements and gaps. It
seemed that the consensus at the F2F was to encourage people to generate
use cases. In the case of hotplug we could define virtualization
issues/needs/requirements within the context of a use case.

	* LKS
Topics for LKS are still being picked. LKS prefers to discuss subjects
that cross multiple sub-systems.

AR for the whole group: Propose topic for LKS relating to any hotplug
issue.

AR for Martine: Ping Dave Hansen to ask him if any specific topic at LKS
would facilitate acceptance of his patches into the mainline
(controversial approaches that might need an open discussion).

Next meeting is scheduled for March 29th at 11:00am -12:00pm PST, 2:00pm
EST

Thanks for your participation.
Martine J. Silbermann