[Hotplug_sig] FW: MINUTES for Hotplug SIG Con Call 03/01

Again I apologize for the delay in sending out those minutes. I was out
of the country for the last 2 weeks and didn't have access to e-mail.
I'm back at work now and available if you have any questions.

Attendees:
George Mann, Bull
Ashok Raj, Intel
Joel Schopp, IBM
Renier Morales, IBM
Nathan Lynch, IBM
Mary Meredith, OSDL
Mark Wong, OSDL
Bruce Vessey, Unisys
Natalie Protasevich, Unisys
Alex Vasilevsky, Virtual Iron
David Lively, Virtual Iron
Martine Silbermann, HP

	* Hotplug BOF at LWE.
There were about 15 to 20 attendees, a few developers but mostly vendors
newly interested in the hotplug market. Since there were only 2 time
slots allocated for all the BOFs and since the "Virtualization" BOF was
scheduled at the same time, attendance was affected.
AR: Mary will contact the organizers and suggest to allow for more time
slots for BOFs.

	* Hotplug for Virtualization.
Alex Vasilevsky and David Lively from Virtual Iron are new to the SIG
and I asked them to tell us about their product and which part of the
hotplug code they currently use. Alex explained how they aggregate
multiple x86 type base servers to create a single hw resource that is
then used to support multiple virtual machines. They use the  hotplug
CPU code with some minor changes that will be submitted to mainline. For
the memory hotplug they use a node oriented NUMA like approach, some
difficulties were mentioned in the remove memory implementation. For
platform management (to add/remove components) they use their own "home
grown" application.

	* Patch submissions for CPU hotplug
Ashok submitted 3 patches needed to give the offlined CPU back from the
OS to the SAL in ia64 architecture. Natalie submitted for review to a
small set of people her changes to the CPU hotplug code for ia32
support.

	* Hardware update.
The 4-way system is still not booting, the reason is currently unknown,
OSDL is putting an engineer to work on it.

	* Regression testing for CPU hotplug.
Discussion around what should be tested to make sure that CPU offlining
works correctly. For example, set the affinity of a task to the CPU that
we want to offline, after offlining make sure the affinity of the task
has been changed to an online CPU. Also checking that interrupts are
handled properly and not lost. Suggestions were made to move packets
from outside the box to check if irqs are rerouted properly.

AR: Mark to create a list of checks that could be done to verify proper
execution of CPU offlining without disruption in the system.

Can we trust tools like SAR and TOP?
TOP currently crashes when a CPU is taken offline. Virtual Iron has a
patch to fix that problem.

AR: Virtual Iron will share their patch with this mailing list and
eventually submit it to the community.

	* OpenHPI update.
There's a new wiki website hosted by OSDL that Reiner mentioned will be
used to generate up-to-date documentation to support the latest release
of OpenHPI. The doc currently found in openhpi.sourceforge.net is
outdated. The wiki site for the new doc is
http://wiki.openhpi.org/OpenHPIWiki
The next OpenHPI release version 2.1.0 is expected to be published in
June (mostly bug fixes).

	* Hotplug testing.
Through the discussions we've had about what needs to be tested we came
to the conclusion that it would be helpful to have a site to keep track
of all the different options, configurations and edge cases that we
should test.
AR: Mary created a wiki site to allow people to submit their thoughts on
the subject of testing (this can be extended to include what features
should be added that people don't have currently the time or resources
to implement).

	* Program Management needs.
Simple things like keeping track of what AR/by whom are done, what
patches are submitted, what those patches included and what their
current state is (under review, accepted,...) and so on would be helpful
information for the SIG to keep track of its accomplishment and to
highlight problems if/when they occur.

Thanks for your participation.
Martine J. Silbermann