Re: [Patch v9 11/16] wpa_supplicant: Support Extended Key ID

Am 06.01.20 um 10:30 schrieb Jouni Malinen:
On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 11:10:10PM +0100, Alexander Wetzel wrote:
Support Extended Key ID in wpa_supplicant according to
IEEE 802.11-2016 for infrastructure (AP) associations.

Extended Key ID allows to rekey pairwise keys without the otherwise
unavoidable MPDU losses on a busy link. The standard is fully backward
compatible, allowing STAs to also connect to APs not supporting it.

Same here for the station side default behavior.. I do not want to get
to a point where deployed stations end up being unable to work with an
AP if an AP vendor comes up with differently working implementation of
this in the future since there has been no interoperability testing of
this capability so far.

Well, the standard has some leeway and my fist patches also violated the standard by just checking if the KeyID KDE is set and not checking the RSN capabilities of the AP. But anyone implementing Extended Key ID should be happy to have a working implementation easily accessible. Having one myself would have been very useful and seeded up the progress. I first tried to find any implementation, free or a vendor one till accepting that is the first.

The important point here is, that there simply are no APs for Extended Key ID available and the only ones which could get "updated" for the foreseeable future would have to use unusual network cards. (mac80211 SW cryto or iwlwifi)

I would assume that any vendor rolling out his own implementation of Extended Key ID now when this is implementation is so simple to find has to test it.

Interoperability between Extended Key ID capable STAs with APs which are not is really hard to get. The only way I see would be to set the KeyID KDE to 1 at the moment. Setting it to zero only generates a warning and I can of course drop that sanity check.

That said I set all the defaults to whatever you want after pointing out why set them to the current values.

Alexander