Sane defaults for roaming sensitivity. They still need to be worked on.

Hello,

I want to bring to people's attention that there is still an
outstanding issue with roaming logic defaults.

At around -60 to -70 dbi roaming decisions are still taken due to
minute disturbances, and at above -50 dbi they are being taken when
there is no real need to roam.

Current defaults feel to me to be made for non-realistic scenarios.
You may have a lot of APs in range with -60 to -70 signal levels, and
none of them be particularly better than each other. You find this a
lot in office parks.

All of them can have some packet loss, but you will not improve user
experience by having the roaming happen every few minutes in such
cases.

Second to that, a minute disturbance like a person passing in front of
an AP, or something electrically conductive being put near the antenna
may also easily add or subtract few decibels from the signal level
quickly. I think there should be at least some moving average used for
the roaming decision, or better a more advanced filtering method.

Past few patches from Mathew did improve the situation somehow, but I
myself is still having issues with overly aggressive roaming every
day.

Have anybody took a look at this patch
https://www.spinics.net/lists/hostap/msg05792.html ?