Fwd: HS 2.0/OSEN and RSN capabilities for Extended Key ID

Hello,

I'm looking into extending my Extended Key ID patches to properly enable it also for OSEN. Unfortunately I'm a bit handicapped here by not having access to IEEE802.11u and therefore I'm just looking how it's being used in hostapd and decoded by wireshark.

And I'm kind of stuck at the moment and hope you have some pointers for my current problem:

I find it a big surprise that with OSEN eapol #2 / #3 have no "Osen RSN" capabilities included at all... In fact I can only find the RSN capabilities in the Beacons and the Probe response. So only the AP seems to be able to signal support...

Is it correct that Osen either does not have to include RSN capabilities in the eapol #2 and #3 or only has to do that optionally? Or is that maybe a bug in our implementation?

When it's optional, we can of course just make it mandatory for Extended Key ID and assume it's off when it's missing, problem solved.

But when it must not be included, how can the AP "see" that a STA can support Extended Key ID without that? Based on the capture "ap_hs20_osen_hwsim0.pcapng from the hostapd osen tests I looks like we have to add the Osen RSN capabilities at least to eapol #2, so the AP knows it can use it.

Is there another mechanism to signal Extended Key ID support within OSEN I did not find so far? Or is the standardized OSEN simply not able to handle it, regardless that the standard seems to include the "Extended Key ID for Individually Addressed Frames capability?

Within IEEE-802.11-2016 "12.7.6.4 4-way handshake message 3" outlines the activation that way:

If the Extended Key ID for Individually Addressed Frames subfield of the RSN Capabilities field is 1 for both the Authenticator/STA_I and Supplicant/STA_P, then the Authenticator/STA_I includes the Key ID KDE with the assigned key identifier for the current operating band; or the Authenticator includes the Multi-band Key ID KDE(s) with the assigned key identifier(s) for one or more supported bands if dot11MultibandImplemented is true.

Alexander