Re: Test setup for .11k/v

On 3/21/19 11:50 AM, Dennis Bland wrote:
Hi Ben:

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/13/19 6:51 PM, Dennis Bland wrote:
Hi Ben:

You need one STA and at least two APs (preferably on two different
channels) to make 802.11k/v test cases.  This is because Neighbor
Reports are not very useful with only one AP (the connected AP), and
802.11v Transition Management requires at least two APs for non-MBO
operation.

While hostapd and wpa_supplicant contain most of the protocol-level
functionality to send and parse the required elements in 802.11
management frames to support 802.11k/v, the logic implementation is
not complete.  For example, an AP central controller will send Beacon
Report requests to a STA through different APs, then analyze the
results to consider sending an 802.11v Transition Management request
to the STA.

Hello,

I started working on the beacon report request.  It appears that APs
cannot send to a station that is not connected to it.  So, in that case,
the controller cannod do what you suggest above.

Is this a limitation in hostapd or did I mis-understand what you are suggesting?

I *am* able to send beacon requests to a STA from the AP (hostapd) to which it
is connected.

Yes, you are correct - sorry for being unclear.  The AP can only send
beacon report requests to a currently connected STA.  In my original
comment, I was thinking of a scenario with multiple APs and one or
more STAs connected to each AP.  The AP controller would receive a
beacon report from each STA and determine if TPC or an 802.11v TM is
recommended for a particular STA.

It would be cool if you do request a beacon from any STA out there, but otherwise
it would seem you'd need to sniff on the AP(s) or something like that to know RSSI
of non-attached peers?

On to the next thing now...I saw there is a command to request LCI from a station,
but when I try that, hostapd says the station doesn't support LCI.

Any idea how to get that working?

And perhaps more important, what is LCI for?  I found an example IE hex in the
test_rrm.py logic, but haven't found how it decodes yet, and found too much about
LCI in the ieee spec to know easily where to begin...

Thanks,
Ben

Dennis

Thanks,