wpa_supplicant: Help chasing down regular WiFi disconnects on Raspberry Pi?

Hi, I'm hoping that someone on this list has some suggestions for, or interest in running this problem to ground. Or, even better yet, has the fix (Yes, I'm optimistic!). At this point I'm not convinced that it's a wpa_supplicant issue, just looking for some ideas on how to move forward toward a resolution.

Scenario: Raspbian Stretch 2018-11-17 running on RPi 3B and 3B+, same issue exhibited on both. Home WiFi network is eero-based; problem also demonstrated on a DLink DIR-825 on the same network. In both scenarios, the RPi is within 10 feet of the access point and has a strong signal. Other, but not all, RPi users have reported this problem as well. See, for example, the thread at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=234058. I wrote the topic note, but others in the thread also have the issue.

On affected systems, carrier drops at semi-regular intervals (approximately every 5 1/2 to 6 minutes, but sometimes more frequently). The message in the wpa_supplicant debug log is "wlan0 ....Remove id... 'SSID' due to wpa_bss_flush_by_age" (see logs below)

What is an affected system? It seems to predominately affect RPi systems that are NOT running the Raspbian Pixel GUI desktop (e.g., Raspbian Full but boot-to-console, or Raspbian Lite booting to console or any graphical desktop other than the Raspbian Pixel-based desktop). But, it doesn't happen to all systems, all the time. In fact, I've had the behavior change between reboots, with everything else identical (hardware, location, WiFi, ...).

When I first started looking into this, I found that the Pixel desktop (specifically, lxpanel) does wpa_cli SCANs every minute. So, I made a script (wpaping) that does a 'wpa_cli -i wlan0 scan' every 2 minutes, and the disconnects stopped. Most of the time, but not always, so still hunting for the root cause.

Other Things I've tried, none of which resolved the issue.

+ Reviewed the wpa_supplicant.conf documentation looking for the silver bullet. None found.
+ Observed that bss_expiration_age and bss_expiration_scan_count might be a cause, so set values quite high. No change. Are these for for hostapd?
+ Built wpa_supplicant 2.7 from source tarball and deployed.
+ Tried Network Manager instead of the default dhcpcd.
+ Disabled bluetooth (bluetoothctl power off).
+ Disabled WiFi power save.
+ Tried both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Here's my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

       ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
        update_config=1
        country=US
        network={
               ssid="myssid"
               psk="myblargypassword"
               key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        }

Here is a wpa_supplicant -ddddd log of a run with the wpaping script enabled https://pastebin.com/B6phQwZV and another with it disabled https://pastebin.com/T9Qd43zF.

Again, not thinking that this is a wpa_supplicant issue. I suppose this could be a brcm wireless driver issue, or some issue with a bunch of different Access Points. If it is, hoping that there's a magic config setting to correct it ;)

Thanks in advance for any guidance, suggestions, and/or condolences.