Re: Test setup for .11k/v

On 03/13/2019 06:51 PM, Dennis Bland wrote:
Hi Ben:

You need one STA and at least two APs (preferably on two different
channels) to make 802.11k/v test cases.  This is because Neighbor
Reports are not very useful with only one AP (the connected AP), and
802.11v Transition Management requires at least two APs for non-MBO
operation.

While hostapd and wpa_supplicant contain most of the protocol-level
functionality to send and parse the required elements in 802.11
management frames to support 802.11k/v, the logic implementation is
not complete.  For example, an AP central controller will send Beacon
Report requests to a STA through different APs, then analyze the
results to consider sending an 802.11v Transition Management request
to the STA.

At this time, Neighbor Report requests are sent periodically by
wpa_supplicant, but Beacon Report requests (and Link Measurement
requests) need to manually triggered in hostapd, as well as 802.11v TM
requests.  I guess we need something similar to the existing 802.11r
"roam" and "ft_ds" CLI commands.  To see the action frame activity
without a packet sniffer, your test script can filter out the "RRM:"
and "WNM:" results from the hostapd/supplicant log (with -dd enabled).

Also note that if the WLAN chipset (e.g. ath9k/10k) is in firmware
offload mode, the behavior may be different, and you may not see any
action frames unless the RCPI drops below a certain threshold.

Hello,

Thanks for the information.  I was thinking that maybe I could trigger
the station to send neigh report requests, see the output in 'wpa_cli'
listener mode, and then have a higher level program instigate a roam as
needed based on the wpa_cli output.

While watching a sniffer, I didn't see supplicant send any neigh reports
w/out me asking it to specifically with wpa_cli, but maybe I didn't
wait long enough.  Or, do I need to specifically enable the feature
in the supplicant .conf file?

I don't think ath10k will be offloading this, at last the pci chipsets,
but if that does seem to be the case, then I can likely deal with it.

Do I need to configure the hostapd instances so that they know they are
a group?  Otherwise, how do they know if they are neighbors or not?

Thanks,
Ben

Best regards,

Dennis

I'm trying to build some test APs and stations to do some experimenting with
802.11k/v features.

Currently I have exactly one hostapd AP and one station.

When I sniff the air, I see neighbor report requests and responses,
for instance, but the wpa_cli output is a bit sparse:

# ./local/bin/wpa_cli -i sta300 neighbor_rep_request
OK

Does anyone have an info on how to build a more useful test bed?  Previously
we built a cluster of APs to do .11r roaming, do I need to do that sort of thing
to get interesting neigh report/requests to happen?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>