Re: Distro configurations

Hi there,

(open)SUSE maintainer speaking here.

Am 23.01.19 um 10:38 schrieb Lubomir Rintel:
> Updating the package to a new version typically involves finding out
> which build options were added and deciding which ones does it make
> sense to enable.

I've pretty much had the same issue(s). With the recent release of 2.7
several new features / options were introduced, and it is kind of hard
to tell if and when to enable them. Especially since some of them are
still being marked / described as incomplete, etc.

On the other hand we had some bugs / requests to enable specific
features (e.g. EAP_PWD), so people definitely do notice if features are
missing and WiFi is not working in their environment.

> I'm wondering whether we could align the configurations somehow, and
> whether upstream could help this? Would a patch set that makes upstream
> defconfig more inclusive in order to be useful for general-purpose OS
> installations as it is meet with objections?

I'm definitely all for it. Distributions can still deviate from this
when in doubt, but they should do so consciously. Having good defaults
that work well for most users of general-purpose is very important,
since, realistically speaking, most users will not ever get in touch
with these build time options.

How should we go about it? Maybe just post a proposal / patchset based
upon the current default configuration and ask for feedback and objections?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

--

SUSE Linux GmbH