Re: [RFC] new structure: "hail" pkg instead of cld, chunkd

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:56:52 -0400
> Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about a new structure for the projects, namely having
> > a single "hail" or "hail-core" package, that includes cld and chunkd
> > services, and associated client libraries inside a new libhail.
>
> It seems a little pointless to me to carry cld on all chunk nodes,
> of which we may have thousands. But of course this is exactly the
> situation today, because cld clients need the libraries, so at
> least you aren't making it worse. If you had hail-libs, it would
> make more sense, IMHO.

My message should have separated the concepts of "distribution
tarball" and "rpm" more cleanly.

To clarify my proposal, and taking into account your comments and some
refinements, I think the following should occur at the git repository
+ source tarball level:

    cld/* -> hail
    chunkd/* -> hail

Thus you would download and build hail-0.1.tar.gz.  hail-0.1.tar.gz
would be packaged as hail-0.1.src.rpm.  Building hail-0.1.src.rpm
produces the following rpms:

    libhail (httpstor, cldc, chunkdc, tcp_write, timers, other?)
    libhail-devel (*.h, api docs)
    cld
    chunkd

I think having the source code for "core Hail" living in a single
repository and source tarball will be useful.  But this allows one to
install avoid installing unnecessary services.

Regards,

    Jeff