Re: [RFC] new structure: "hail" pkg instead of cld, chunkd

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:56:52 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been thinking about a new structure for the projects, namely having
> a single "hail" or "hail-core" package, that includes cld and chunkd
> services, and associated client libraries inside a new libhail.

It seems a little pointless to me to carry cld on all chunk nodes,
of which we may have thousands. But of course this is exactly the
situation today, because cld clients need the libraries, so at
least you aren't making it worse. If you had hail-libs, it would
make more sense, IMHO.

> In real terms, it would look like this:
>
> 	cld		-> hail
> 	libcldc		-> libhail, libhail-devel
> 	chunkd		-> hail
> 	libchunkdc	-> libhail, libhail-devel
>
> 	tabled		-> tabled (no change)
> 	libhttpstor	-> libhail, libhail-devel
> 	itd		-> itd (no change)
> 	nfs4d		-> nfs4d (no change)

So I would rather see this:

cld		-> cld  (or hail, whatever)
libcldc		-> hail-libs
ncld.h		-> hail-devel
libchunkdc	-> hail-libs
chunkd		-> chunkd or hail
chunkc.h	-> chunkd-devel or hail-devel
etc.

> I think this new organization will be more useful to both developers and
> future users.  For developers, changing the core services, and packaging
> commonly reused routines is easier.  For users, the core services and
> application separation is more clear, IMO easier to understand at a glance.

Right, we had a few common things, that are replicated needlessly.

-- Pete