Re: gtk-fortran 19.04 released

Thank you Emmanuele and Stefan for your answers,

Gtk+ - General mailing list wrote
> Have you considered using the GObject introspection data that GTK itself
> generates, instead of your custom parsing code?

Yes, but a long time ago in the first year of the project. In this Dec. 2011
post:
https://github.com/vmagnin/gtk-fortran/issues/27

My thoughts were:

>But in that case, there is no "c:identifier" attribute in the tag (how to
identify a pointer ?)

>Advantages:
> -   parsing XML is easier than using regular expressions which must take
> into account many exceptions and peculiarities.
> -   The binding would be more complete (to what extent ?).
>Drawbacks:
>  -  GIR format is not well documented.
>  -  Cairo is not (yet ?) supported. So cfwrapper.py would still be
> necessary at least for it.
>Probably also for others like GLib (see the "c:identifier" problem above).
>  -  We would lose the C prototypes in comments and also in
> gtk-fortran-index.csv
>  -  A new effort.
> The question is: is it worth while ? Or would it be more adequate to
> improve cfwrapper.py ?

Note that it was how I see things at that time. I don't know if my feeling
was right (I was a total beginner with GTK), and I don't know how things
have changed since that time. It is still a possibility that could be
interesting in the long term. It would surely be cleaner than parsing with
regular expressions.

Gtk+ - General mailing list wrote
> Nabble is a web bridge to various mailing list; the "General" forum maps

> gtk-list@

> , which is going to be de-activated on May 1st, 2019.
>
> It seems Nabble does not respect cross-posting, so you probably haven't
> seen the announcement:
>
> http://gtk.10911.n7.nabble.com/REMINDER-List-moved-to-Discourse-archival-in-1-week-td95279.html

OK, at first I did not understood the real nature of Nabble. And I have not
seen the announcement. I will look at https://discourse.gnome.org/.

Best regards,
Vincent

--