Re: GtkSelectionMode

Hi, Paul,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:49 PM Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Paul,

>> > what platform or desktop toolkit does *not* work this way?
>>
>> I'm running Gentoo Linux with GNOME 3 and GTK+ 3.22.30 from Gentoo repository
>>

> I'm afraid you missed my point. The behaviour you described sounds like the behaviour I have always seen on every version of Linux and every version of macOS that I've ever used. I have never come across an application/platform/desktop toolkit that uses a mouse and works differently to what you've described. To select multiple strings, you have to differentiate between "forget the current selection, i'm starting a new one" and "i want to add this to the selection", and the convention has been to use a modifier key (typically Ctrl) to do that.

This is weird.
I know for sure that (at least on Windows) there are exist 2 different
styles - LBS_MULTIPLESEL and LBS_EXTENDEDSEL.
According to the MSDN (ref.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/controls/list-box-styles):

LBS_MULTIPLESEL - Turns string selection on or off each time the user
clicks or double-clicks a string in the list box. The user can select
any number of strings.
LBS_EXTENDEDSEL - Allows multiple items to be selected by using the
SHIFT key and the mouse or special key combinations.

I interpret this as following:
Using 1, I can select multiple string with just a mouse click if the
string is not being selected. If the string is already selected, it
becomes deselected without selection clearing on any other previously
selected string.
Using 2, I can extend the selection, i.e. pressing Shift, I can select
continuous string, i.e. select 1,2,3 and 4 strings with just 2 clicks.
Or using Ctrl, I can select multiple strings.

And this is exactly the behavior I see on Windows. And it is NOT how
it behaves on *nix/GTK.

Maybe all your Windows programs were using LBS_EXTENDEDSEL?

Also, I think I will need to test my Cocoa apps as its possible I
forgot what it did. Sorry about that. I will do that tonight.

Thank you.