Re: GtkSelectionMode

i think you're getting confused:

from the GTK-3 manual explaining how this option:

GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE
Any number of elements may be selected. The Ctrl key may be used to enlarge the selection, and Shift key to select between the focus and the child pointed to. Some widgets may also allow Click-drag to select a range of elements.

in other words, what you want (different ways to select multiple records) all happens with the single enum specifier GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE.  i can also confirm this is also how it works in GTK-2.

so no functionality was lost between 2 and 3, and gtk also agrees with all those other platforms you cite (assuming you're referring to available functionality, as opposed to exactly how the enums are named... ;)

the example you coded didn't work like this?

richard

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Igor Korot via gtk-list <gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 1:00 PM LRN via gtk-list <gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13.02.2019 20:41, Igor Korot via gtk-list wrote:
> > Hi, list,
> > This link: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk3-Standard-Enumerations.html#GtkSelectionMode
> > has 4 modes for selection,
> > while this link:
> > https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/gtk2-Standard-Enumerations.html#GtkSelectionMode
> > has 5.
> >

> The code actually says:
>
> > /* list selection modes */
> > typedef enum
> > {
> >   GTK_SELECTION_NONE,                             /* Nothing can be selected */
> >   GTK_SELECTION_SINGLE,
> >   GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE,
> >   GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE,
> >   GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED = GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE /* Deprecated */
> > } GtkSelectionMode;

I didn't look at the code. I just followed the documentation.

> So unless you dig up an old version of GTK2 (before that deprecation went into
> effect), you can't know what EXTENDED selection actually meant. I looked at
> gtk+-2.2 (!!!), and it also had that value deprecated. So this must be a
> holdout from the GTK+-1.x era.

OK.

> That doesn't mean that there isn't a case for extending (no pun intended)
> current selection (no pun intended) of selection modes, but you'd have to
> explain your idea a bit more thoroughly.

Well, there are multiple scenarios.
1. Just clicking on the item.
2. Clicking on the item with the Ctrl key pressed
3. Clicking on the item with the Shift key pressed.

I think that 1 should be defined as multi-select, while 2 and 3 should
be defined as extended one.

And from what I understand, MSW, OSX and Qt all agree with me. ;-)

Thank you.