Re: Wait cursor animation does not work properly

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 14:05:08 +0100
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 September 2017 at 11:58, Chris Vine <vine35792468@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > As to your test case, that works fine in GTK+-3.22 with the X11
> > backend and the Adwaita theme.  I do not have wayland installed.
> > Possibly you have found a bug in the wayland backend, depending on
> > whether anyone else can reproduce your issue.
>
> It's not a bug of the Wayland backend, per se; it's a different
> behaviour inherent as to how cursors work in Wayland and in X11.
>
> Cursor themes in X11 are loaded by the X server, and the toolkit just
> tells the server to load the named cursor from the theme. Under
> Wayland, the toolkit is responsible for presenting the cursor frame to
> the display server, and updating the buffer for every frame. The
> display server is a privileged component, and it should only deal with
> buffers coming from clients, not with loading image data from random
> places. If you block the toolkit's main loop, the toolkit cannot
> update the animation, and thus you get a stuck cursor animation — just
> like you get a stuck UI.

Rereading Stefan's successive postings I am now quite confused about
what bug he thinks he has found.  The code I tested was the code he
first posted, without the idle callback, which he said exhibited a
problem with cursor animation which I have been unable to reproduce.  I
didn't bother testing his second posting with a blocking idle callback
because it was obviously wrong, as I thought he now recognises.

If Stefan needs any further assistance I think he needs to explain what
his issue actually is.

Chris