Re: Wait cursor animation does not work properly

On 4 September 2017 at 11:58, Chris Vine <vine35792468@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to your test case, that works fine in GTK+-3.22 with the X11
> backend and the Adwaita theme.  I do not have wayland installed.
> Possibly you have found a bug in the wayland backend, depending on
> whether anyone else can reproduce your issue.

It's not a bug of the Wayland backend, per se; it's a different
behaviour inherent as to how cursors work in Wayland and in X11.

Cursor themes in X11 are loaded by the X server, and the toolkit just
tells the server to load the named cursor from the theme. Under
Wayland, the toolkit is responsible for presenting the cursor frame to
the display server, and updating the buffer for every frame. The
display server is a privileged component, and it should only deal with
buffers coming from clients, not with loading image data from random
places. If you block the toolkit's main loop, the toolkit cannot
update the animation, and thus you get a stuck cursor animation — just
like you get a stuck UI.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--