Re: CSS to look more like Gtk+ 2

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:32:20 +0100
Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2016-12-11 at 14:48 -0800, Kyle Terrien wrote:
> > And now, I'm starting another theme,
>
> It would also be great to have a HiDPI theme, or even better to have
> something like a scaleable theme. A theme where the elements like
> scrollbars can be scaled by running a script on it?

I don't have any of the hardware, but I'm open to playing around with
it if I can (maybe by making a regular monitor emulate a HiDPI one).
HiDPI is supposed to be the wave of the future.  I favor the boxy look,
so there isn't much to scale (as opposed to Blueshell, which uses a
bunch of images).

What's the favored way to "fake" a HiDPI monitor?  Modify some pixel
density value in xorg.conf?

> I had done a google search for HiDPI themes, but did not really found
> something. I noticed that the default awaita theme css is generally
> not installed at all as textual CSS files, so I have not yet tried to
> customize one.

There aren't very many old-school GTK3 themes at all.  This is why I am
scratching my own itch.

In fact, given the name "Adwaita", meaning "the only one", I'm pretty
sure that some of the developers don't care about custom themes.  That
would explain why the theming API changed so drastically and frequently.

Adwaita is written in a CSS preprocessor (SCSS).
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/theme/Adwaita

It is a very complicated bit of work.  In my opinion, if you need a
preprocessor for something like CSS, your CSS is probably too
complicated, and you are doing something wrong.

Maybe themes should have written in something other than CSS.

--Kyle

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story.  It can give you the
exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.