Re: CSS to look more like Gtk+ 2

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 17:15:46 +0100
Nicolas George <george@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Over the years, I have found that I really dislike the default look
> and feel of Gtk+ 3 (borders that waste screen real estate, gradients
> and rounded corners that give a runny feeling, annoying animations; I
> felt the same way about some versions of Qt). Until now, I used only
> a few applications based on it, I could ignore it. But now Firefox
> uses it, I can no longer.
>
> I have started writing a few CSS rules to reduce that. For now, I have
> this:
>
> * {
>   border-radius: 0;
> }
> entry {
>   min-height: 20px;
>   transition: none;
>   border-style: inset;
>   border-width: 2px;
> }
>
> But instead of spending time on it, I wonder if somebody already did
> it. Does anybody know something like that? Either a reasonably simple
> set of CSS rules to make Gtk+ 3 look more like Gtk+ 2 or, even better
> (at least if maintained), a full theme to that effect.
>
> My searches on the web did not produce anything.

I also dislike the new "Adwaita" look.  (Phone-sized buttons?  Pah!)

This guy has done quite a job of creating a Raleigh-like (and
NeXTSTEP-like) theme that works in both GTK2 and GTK3 (3.18 and 3.20).
This is probably a good place to start.  He calls his theme OneStepBack.
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1013663/

I used his CSS as a starting point in my project:  (It works in GTK
3.20 and 3.22 for the most part.)
https://gitlab.com/KlipKyle/Blueshell

And now, I'm starting another theme, this time Raleigh-like.  I have
not come around to GTK3 yet, but I will get there eventually.  This
time, I will be doing GTK 3.18 first, because that is what is in
Slackware. (But don't be surprised if you see a lot of OneStepBack-like
CSS.)
https://github.com/KlipperKyle/Irvine

> Side question: is it possible to disable client-side decoration with
> CSS?

Not that I know of, but I am far from an expert in this area.  I am
just someone so sick of the "new look" that I felt the urge to start
designing my own themes.  If you find a way, please let me know.  I
don't like client-side decorations either.

Another note: GTK 3.18 CSS is entirely different from GTK 3.20 and
later.  Why?  I don't know.  I guess people like to break things.  ;-)

I hope this information may be of use.
--Kyle

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story.  It can give you the
exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.